The finest filth and fury in Philadelphia, since 2009
Like what we are doing here? We want to hear from you. Hate what we are doing here? Well, we really want to hear from you.

email at ihopeyourenotsqueamish@gmail.com

Saturday, January 16, 2010

I Guess I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

I have spent the last few days feeling painfully affected by Haiti, and the lack of progress that is being made as they try to recover from the earthquake. I find myself on engrossed in the pictures being released, just unable to comprehend the sense of hopeless starting to settle over Port-au-Prince. And despite the fact that I cannot divorce my attention and gaze from these images, I cannot find a phrase that accurately describes the hollow in the pit of my stomach. I cannot wrap words around the feelings that make my palms sweat. Though certainly not the first in even my lifetime, rare are the times when you turn on the television to see headlines of mass graves and bodies rotting in the streets and I feel limited in my ability to calculate my emotions. I could regurgitate the statistics, the cold facts, but that is CNN's job, and four days of contemplating yielded few results in what I wanted to communicate. Liony Batista, a project manager for Food for the Poor in charge of importing supplies from the Dominican Republic, said "I don't think that a word has been invented for what is happening in Haiti." The impact of natural disaster of this magnitude on a country as desperate as Haiti is perhaps just not meant for words.

Please continue to do what you can to help. Prayers count as help, too.
Oxfam
Food for the Poor
United Nations World Food Programme

No comments: