The finest filth and fury in Philadelphia, since 2009
Like what we are doing here? We want to hear from you. Hate what we are doing here? Well, we really want to hear from you.

email at ihopeyourenotsqueamish@gmail.com

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Quit Hoggin' the Covers!

Set times and the order of performers was unclear to me, so I was unsure how early to show up at the North Star Bar on Tuesday night. The show was sold out long in advance, so I knew no matter when I got there, it was bound to be packed. But it was a nice night out, so I headed out with enough time to ensure sure that I would not miss Teenage Bottlerocket, even if they played first. I had written off Reno, NV's Cobra Skulls as nonsense and had little to no intent on watching their set, but was glad that had I showed up early and they started playing several minutes later. The first fifteen minutes were great, real rockabilly type punk, with the stampeding drums and galloping bass lines. I was shocked at how much the country tinged tunes appealed to me. Following the barn burners, they slowed the pace down for a few minutes with some (comparatively) mellow, ska/reggae influenced tunes. They seemed to be unable to recover after that, and just kind of lost their groove which made their last few songs forgettable. I don't know that I could listen to a whole album by these guys, but they were entertaining live and I wouldn't be disappointed to see them open up another show in the future.

PS--What ever they pay their drummer, they should double it. Hands down, best percussionist of the night.

Up next were my inspiration for attending, Laramie, Wyoming's Teenage Bottlerocket. I hadn't seen Bottlerocket since they were on tour for 2005's Total and were supporting the Eyeliners. Unfortunately for them, not much has changed since then despite crafting two more rock solid full lengths. I was surprised that the crowd was not more into them given that their popularity would seem to have risen over the last few years. Fat Mike has certainly done right by these guys; NOFX has taken them on tour at least once or twice and Fat Wreck Chords promoted the shit out of They Came from the Shadows when it was released. However, Teenage Bottlerocket seems destined to be a perpetual opener. Sigh, always a bridesmaid... They played fast as hell, packing approximately a million songs into a half hour set, blazing through all their major "hits"--"Skate or Die," "In the Basement," "Blood Bath at Burger King," "Bigger than Kiss." (And a Bad Religion cover, in keeping with the night's theme) None the less, there were a lot of on lookers, at least compared with Cobra Skulls, so hopefully a few were converted by their stellar performance.

Since it was a "school night," my buddy and I left it up 'til last minute whether we would stay for headliners Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies. I didn't need to be completely useless the next to to see what is essentially punk karaoke of songs that you might normally be embarrassed to admit you like. But we were feeling energetic following Teenage Bottlerocket, so we figured, why not? But what is there really to say about seeing a cover band? It was fun and silly and better than most Tuesday nights. The songs were double timed (for the most part), with lots of retarded stage banter in between. Highlights included "Me and Julio Down by the School Yard," "Country Roads," "Blowing in the Wind," "Somewhere over the Rainbow," and "Rocket Man." I personally was disappointed that not one of the Barry Manilow covers made the list, but oh well. Since I didn't even know when I showed up if I would stay at all, I figure I have no room to complain. (Except about the guy behind me who kept shouting for Lagwagon songs. Really? Lagwagon? Not NOFX or Swingin' Udders? Lagwagon. OK, dude.) All in all, a fun night, particularly since the Gimmie Gimmies don't tour all that often.

PPS--I spotted Michael McDerrmont, drummer of the world famous Bouncing Souls punk rock band, which was extra cool. Jersey!

No comments: